How can it handle multiple processes

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Hi,

I see in the source code that it is using a static mutex to control concurrency. However, in CRM Online the plugin executes in sandbox which has multiple worker processes so the static variables are not reliable. Is there a way this could work in Online?

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Hi Gonzalo,

Here at Gap Consulting, we support the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Online environment with our Auto Number solution.  All plug-ins (which perform the calculations) are registered in sandbox mode, therefore provide full support for the CRM Online environment.  We use a unique locking mechanism approach to generate Auto Number requirements.

http://www.gapconsulting.co.uk/addons/microsoftdynamicscrm2011autonumber.asp

Rob

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Rob. Looking at the source code, you are using a static mutex. But static variables are not reliable because there are multiple sandbox processes and app domains and static variables cannot cross app-domain boundries. I'm trying to understand how your locking mechanims can guarantee unique numbers. Only then I would consider it for CRM Online...

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Hi, this codeplex project isn't our solution, our solution doesn't use mutex. Feel free to give it a try and let us know what you think. I can give you a free license key while it's in beta at the moment.

Rob

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Oh I see! I was talking about the solution in this project! Ok that's good news, I have a customer that might be interested. I might get back to you on that offer if we end up needing the auto-numbering. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Oh I see! I was talking about the solution in this project! Ok that's good news, I have a customer that might be interested. I might get back to you on that offer if we end up needing the auto-numbering. Thanks, I appreciate it!